Crain's New York Business
Crain's New York Business
Full Time Regular
New York, NY
This is an ideal job for an experienced, digitally savvy journalist who has strong news judgment, first-read and line editing prowess and a knack for optimizing editorial content for digital consumption. A successful candidate will thrive while working with fellow editors and reporters to produce top quality breaking news stories and analysis and manage digital content across multiple platforms. The candidate will also work closely with the managing editor to explore new ways to expand our audience and engage our readers.
This role requires a unique skill set that includes a deep understanding of the news that matters most to the New York City business community. Working with a team of both senior and junior reporters, the digital editor must be able to ensure that daily and breaking news coverage is robust, engaging and enlightening for our readers. Managing deadlines for both short and long term projects is a must.
The ideal candidate is passionate about digital and web technologies and always seeking ways to increase their digital IQ. They are also able to develop and teach their skills to others on the team through clear communication and translating emerging technology ideas into easily understood information. This role offers a variety of challenges from reporting and analysis, so versatility, punctuality, communication and the ability to multi-task are a must.
* Proven skills in developing and managing digital content, websites, and landing pages using today's latest technology, in high-volume environments
* Monitor social media for breaking news; posting and promoting content on the website and through various digital channels including daily newsletters
* Work closely with editors and reporters on interactive graphics and data-driven initiatives that can stand alone or accompany articles and special sections
* Manage and edit web content that meets site s high standards of usability, editorial quality and effectiveness.
* Use analysis and insight to drive optimization of pages, actively seeking to improve value per page.
* Write display or promotional text, such as headlines, decks and captions following editorial team guidelines.
* Coordinate the use of digital and multi-media assets, such as photos, graphics, quizzes, polls, video and audio, and upload these assets to the website using the site s style and optimization guidelines.
* Master usage rules and style guidelines to ensure all content meets these requirements.
* Maintain and conduct quality assurance checks on digital products according to brand guidelines.
* Responsible for maintenance of links and adherence to the information architecture through site s content management system.
* Adjust and experiment with headlines to make sure stories have maximum impact and extend their shelf life using analytics and current best practices in SEO
* Bachelor's degree and 3 years of experience as a digital editor or similar role
* Strong journalism/newsroom experience
* Ability to quickly understand new technologies
* Expert knowledge of creating and editing content and site setup using a CMS platform
* Experience using Photoshop to create and modify images, sprites and other visual elements
* Online portfolio or body of work which includes recent, original multi-media journalism
* Proven ability in SEO and social media best practices
* Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills
* Fluent in Digital analytics
* Expert knowledge of Wordpress or Drupal 7/8
* Drupal 8 strongly preferred
* Fluent with Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics or Chartbeat
* Journalism or related degree preferred
* Experience writing headlines, captions and content
* B2B or business newsroom experience
* Understanding of audience segmentation and usage rules
* Understanding of and background working within brand guidelines
Crain s New York Business provides news, information and connections on all facets of New York through the prism of business. Crain s is the leading source of information on the New York economy, the companies and industries that operate here, and connections between government and industry. Crain s publishes daily news coverage on crainsnewyork.com, weekly coverage in print, and three specialized online daily reports Insider, Pulse and Real Estate Daily providing scoops and inside information on politics, health care and real estate, respectively. Readers come to Crain s for in-depth coverage of the many industries that make up the fabric of New York s business community.
Click HERE to visit us in our New York office.
Crain Communications Inc is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability. We thank you for your interest in Crain Communications and invite you to visit our website as positions are updated regularly. EOE/Vet/Disability
Please view the Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law Poster provided by OFCCP here.
Crain's New York Business