The Greeneville Sun
The Sports Editor will be responsible for managing sports staff (including full and part-time), making story assignments and overall direction of each day’s sports section, plus occasional special sections. This is a “hands-on” position in a competitive athletic and media market and will also include writing stories, taking photographs and preparing video and multi-media material for both print and online. Using social media will also be an important component of this position. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, possess effective writing skills and will be familiar with social media. Candidate should also be able to cultivate solid relationships with coaches, players and other sources. Coverage area includes five highly- competitive high schools, area colleges, and a minor league baseball team. The position is based in Greeneville, Tennessee.
The successful candidate must be a flexible, self-starter, who is attentive to details, diplomatic, able to provide direction to direct reports, and able to multi-task.
• Managing sports writers, making assignments, editing copy and coaching staff
• Working with designers to design pages and make necessary corrections while on deadline
• Writing sports stories for both print and online
• Shooting photos and video
• Interviewing athletes and coaches at local high schools and colleges
• Using social media to keep readers informed and involved
• Planning and executing special sections throughout the year
• The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in the print and internet media industry, preferably in editorial or management role.
Writing and editing skills and intimate knowledge of AP style required. Proficiency in Photoshop strongly preferred and in InDesign is a plus. Ability to learn other relevant software programs is important. Expertise with TownNews or other web-based content management systems is a plus.
Bachelors degree or the equivalency thereof is preferred